Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Measurable success

I think I've described the book request system in Sacramento requests for books before. Whether from the "home" library or some other branch in the system, book requests are entered into a centralized database. Each morning before the opening of each library, the items in the database that correspond to that library are printed. Then people like Pam and I scour the shelves for these requests. When we started doing this on a regular basis about 2 years ago, it was a rare day when we had more than 200 books on the list. Pam and I almost always completed the list in less than 2 hours.

Now it is fairly common to have 270 to 290 books on the list and once a week it will actually go over. As you might expect Pam and I try harder but continually come close to or exceed 3 hours. I think it's about time for another volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment