Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Transitions coming my way

It wasn't that long ago when I thought my cane a little pretentious, that I didn't really need it most of the time. Then I discovered that I felt a little panicky when I left my cane behind. So I arranged to have a cane with me in all cases whether it was the "institutional" one that screams "government health system", the folding one that whispers "old money", or the plain brown wooden one that asks "where's Waldo?" A cane was easy to get used to and it doesn't get in the way of other people.



But a cane didn't work for my volunteer work at the library where I have to pick some 150 books off the shelves, books that have been requested by other library patrons. I need both hands. A book bag helped as did a library cart. But the best answer was a walker with a seat/bookshelf and lockable wheels. Called my Kaiser Doctor. "No trouble. Prescription going in right now. " Next day I get a call from Apria, Kaiser's medical equipment supplier. "Will you be home in the next half hour so we can drop off your walker" Does it have a seat/platform? No. Does it have brakes? What do you take us for, Sir? Sorry, I say, but my cousin has already equipped me better than that.


I called the doctor again, making it clear the level of walker I'm interested in. He promises to send in the new prescription immediately. Two days later I call Kaiser medical equipment. No prescription. I press. Oh yes they do have the prescription but I'll need to be evaluated. We'll call you to set up a date/time. Never do.


In the meantime I buy modern looking walker rather than an ugly one.

Now I discover that some days the cane isn't enough. I need my walker. Sometimes I even need to use it around the house. I don't like where this is heading.

No comments:

Post a Comment